It is your responsibility to report a data security breach to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), based on the guidance provided by the Information Commissioner. Impact Computing does not provide guidance on whether a breach should be reported.
Fraud, Cyber Crime and Phishing Attempts
Where you have been the victim or fraud, cyber-crime or a phishing attempt, you can report it to the police using the following site: Action Fraud UK Police Report. We advise with any security incident that you also inform your bank.
PC/Laptop infected with virus or spyware
In the event you are the victim of a PC/laptop virus or spyware infection, please keep the following points in mind:
What you need to do:
- Keep in mind that an unauthorised 3rd party has possibly had access to all your confidential data, including e-mails and attachments, contacts, files, and financial information, though this is not an exhaustive list. Consider the risks and what the unauthorised party could do with this information. They may have even had remote access to the PC/Laptop.
- Many infections start due to accessing inappropriate websites or installing inappropriate software on a machine. We strongly recommend that you have an Acceptable Use Policy for Internet and PC usage in place for your staff.
- Dispose of, delete or format all pen drives/USB devices that have been attached to the infected device as this is often used as a medium for spreading the infection to other machines.
What we will do:
- We will reset the password of any accounts that we look after for you.
- We will scan the machine that is infected with a number of different tools to try and determine the type/nature of the infection.
- Where we believe the virus to be malicious, we will advise that you completely power off the machine(s) and disconnect them from the network.
What you should be aware of:
- We recommend that you reset all your account passwords. Please include any business applications, for example Sage/Iris/Act/Quickbooks etc. Please ensure you follow our best practice guidelines for setting passwords.
- Under the terms of your contract, work relating to the removal and repair of virus or spyware related activity is chargeable.
- We strongly recommend that any PC/Laptop infected with a virus/spyware is fully wiped and re-built. Under the terms of our contract, this rebuild would be chargeable.
- We can offer advanced security on machines to further lock them down and minimise threats, for example our Advanced Windows Security Management service - please contact us for details.